Sunday, 29 March 2015

Paper Cell Manipulation

After researching the artist Mary Button, who creates paper sculptures and pieces with a cellular-like appearance. I chose to look into her style of work and create a piece based upon dividing cells. I cut strips of paper up from a magazine using a blue colour scheme. The strips were different lengths to create varying sized circles. 
After painting the back board bluish tones, I used spray mount to create a tacky surface for the circles to stick too. I placed on the circles using tweezers, which was very time-consuming. The spray mount dried pretty quickly so the circles did no stick well. Eventually, I placed all the circles on and covered it with PVA glue to make sure the adhesive was especially strong and hold the shapes in place. 
Sketchbook work

Paper cells

Paper cells

Paper on board

Cells dividing 
It was interesting to explore a different area of the body, with cells being a particularly interesting subject matter due to their continuously changing shapes. Nevertheless, I did not find this a very successful piece as it did not have the same fragile outcome as Button's did. Her work almost glowed owing to the translucent paper. Maybe if I were to use tissue/tracing paper it would have the aesthetics I fancied.

No comments:

Post a Comment