INITIAL IDEAS
After looking into the bone marrow, I decided to use another material: plaster. Using a drill, I cut out areas and created the bone-like structures and their internal nature. I began experimenting with the blocks, which look as if they are eroded away. I very much liked the effect and decided to continue looking at this material and process.
ADDING TO PLASTER
I wanted to blend my previous bone ideas with the plaster, so I placed bent wire into the plaster and let the plaster set. I then wrapped string around the wire to give it the white, bone appearance. It formed an interesting shape and has a completely different feel to it depending on which angle you place the block. I then added twisted tissue paper into another block, which was already drilled. It gave it alien-like tendencies as if parts of the bone marrow had been tunnelled out and pulled into these forms. These tentacle forms are quite interesting and is something I might pursue in my final idea.
CYLINDER AND SCALE
I made a larger, cylindrical mould from a tube and added metal bolts to try and suspend the plaster. I drilled it with the same method as before, to create the randomly distributed holes to form the bone marrow. .
I used a lumpier mould to create a more realistic bone marrow surface and was able to drill all the way through. With this one, I was trying to explore the disease osteoporosis which creates a more porous bone. The bone is less dense and becomes much weaker. I tried to make the holes more concentrated and cover more of the plaster to replicate this disease. There are many bone diseases that affect the bone in varying ways. I want to explore these different diseases and how they affect the bone and its structure.




















No comments:
Post a Comment