After forming the plaster bone marrow-like structures I decided to look into the negative space, and the shapes created from within. I began using plasticine as it is a very malleable substance. I used sections of plasticine and compressed them into the porous structure. When I pulled out it out, it has an almost alien tendency. The shapes formed were tentacle-like or the texture of some monstrous rash.
 |
| Plasticine |
As a result of the success and its intriguing nature, I chose to look further into this idea of the negative space. I used wax, and poured it into the penetrable plaster shapes. What I quite stupidly did not think about was that the wax would pour out of the holes. In hindsight, it seems such as obvious thought but after going ahead with the practice it all flowed out. It did create an interesting design with a dripping effect. If I was to repeat the wax, I would use not completely melted wax, so I could squash it into the holes similar to the manner in which I did the plasticine.
 |
| Wax Drps |
 |
| Failed wax attempt |
Finally, I used latex, which in itself has a very alien-like texture. I added the latex to the plaster, layering it up over time and waiting for it to dry. Once it was dry, I peeled it off the plaster, which revealed this peculiar, flexible object. I decided to stretch it out in a frame so the bumpy surface was the main focal point. The latex looks like an enlarged bacteria or mitochondria. Although unusual, I am still unsure whether or not to pursue this further as a final idea.
 |
Process of latex onto plaster
|
No comments:
Post a Comment