Friday, 1 May 2015

Making Process 3: The Never Ending Peeling of Cardboard

I made the mistake of forgetting to lubricate any of the tubes before I poured in the plaster, which made it a million times harder to take the cardboard off. I spent hours peeling off the outer layers until only a thin layer was left on the plaster. 
Peeling Cardboard Off
 I found different techniques worked best for taking of the cardboard as quickly and smoothly as possible. Rubbing with the hand was one of the best methods but did end up hurting my skin, and using a dampened rag also worked well. I found the best method fro getting rid of small bits of cardboard and actually left an interesting surface to the plaster was a chisel. I used it to almost grate of the cardboard, and it left a roughed edged, bone like effect.
Wetting before peeling
Some bits of the cardboard came off extremely easily, I'm not sure if this was because it was water than the rest of the plaster or drier. I didn't time how long after the plaster dried I started to remove the cardboard.
Smooth plaster
I still haven't completely finished this process with two unfinished plaster rods to completely smooth out. Its an annoyingly lengthy process but I am happy with the end results.

No comments:

Post a Comment