To make the rod that represented the disease of osteoporosis, I had to drill into the plaster to create this eroded texture. I used different drill bits to create the varying sized craters and network of holes.
 |
| Beginning of Drilling |
 |
| Holes in Plaster |
 |
| Drilling the plaster |
The drilling of the plaster was extremely time consuming as a result of the 2m length of plaster and the continuous changing of the drill bit. Moreover, if you did not continuously take out the plaster dust from the pores they would clog up, making it harder to remove overall. i found the best technique to blow-dry whilst using a brush to take out the dust. If that failed, hoovering it also worked.
 |
| 1/3 Drilled |
 |
| Breakage |
As a result of the delicacy and brittle nature of the holes in the plaster, the plaster rod snapped in half. I may attempt to fix it but I actually quite like the crack. The almost happy accident accentuates the frail nature of bones affected by osteoporosis, and how the less dense bone marrow causes the bone to be so much more susceptible to fracture. I am very happy with the outcome of this plaster tube as it has an extremely effective aesthetics; I tried to fade the holes out near the end of the pole to show how osteoporosis eventually effects all of the bone.
No comments:
Post a Comment