Tuesday, 12 May 2015

Making Process 5: S'more Drillin'

For the second 'bone', I was focusing on Paget's disease, which has a similar affect as osteoporosis in weakening the bone by excessive breakdown. However, the different between them in that Paget's disease localises to only certain bones rather than all of the bones like Osteoporosis. For this reason I decided to focus the holes to only one area of the tube, to represent this proportion. 
Bone representing Paget's Disease
 Like the osteoporosis bone, I used a drill to create the holes but instead of using different sized drill bits, I just used the one larger end. It was a localised, extremely fragile area of the rod.
Blow Drying away dust

 Like the previous rod, the holes built up with dust. However, after learning from my previous mistake of letting it build up before I got rid of the dust, I blew dry it away as soon as I had drilled the hole. This meant almost all the plaster particles were gone from the holes the entire time.

Brushing away excess
This piece was successful, so far this one has not broken or cracked, but its extremely weak due to the  concentration of holes. I must be careful with this when moving the rod to its final place.

No comments:

Post a Comment