Saturday, 16 May 2015

Making Process 6: Fixing a Fracture


My original idea was to create a bone with a crack in to replicate the disease Osteogenesis Imperfecta, (Brittle Bone Disease), which causes extremely brittle bones and suffers are prone to fractures. When I was moving one of the rods accidentally snapped in two, however, the crack was rather perfectly positioned and rather beautiful.
 To fix this back together, I have created the nails that fix real bones back together out of bolts and three steel rods. One steel rod is positioned between the two pieces of 'bone', and drilled in. The other two are used outside the bone. They have holes drilled in which the screws and bolts fit into, that attach to the plaster. I have to put this together when I display the piece.
Example of the fixing of a fracture
Potential Bolts

Potential Bolt
Actual Bolts used

Crack repositioned
Fixings
Middle fixture 
Connectors

No comments:

Post a Comment