Friday, 24 April 2015

Making Process 1: The Mould

Trying to find a massive tube to pour plaster in was beginning to be a challenge. I needed to find not just one, but numerous long tubes which were at least 2 metres long to act as a mould for the plaster. I could have used drain pipes or plastic tubes, but those both cost money. I decided to go with the cardboard carpet tubes that are about 4m long. Transporting these were a slight issue as a result of their size, but I went to the closest carpet shop I could find to the college, which was a 15 minute walk. I carried around 3 tubes to college, each 4m long.
Tube Sample
Some of the carpet rolls
 After dragging these massive rolls to the college building, I had to cut them down to length. Due to the number I had, I decided to cut the number from 10 to 6. I cut the tubes from 4m to two 2m tubes using a saw. As I want the tubes at around 1.8m, this leaves room to sand down the ends or cut them to size.
Cutting down tubes

Cutting down tubes
 Next week, I will be pouring plaster into these tubes and making the plaster rods ready to be drilled and carved.

No comments:

Post a Comment